Daily Prompt: Five Items
A desert island. Isolation. Nothing to do but be.
But how to be?
When pondering what to write I thought first about my list. I wanted to know where my survival instinct would take me. Would I be all “Oh my gosh, I’m stuck on a desert island!! Save me! Save me!” Or would I adopt a “T’is cool, man” attitude and enjoy the experience.
Assuming there would be a plentiful supply of food and water, etc. I didn’t give this another thought. Frankly, I could survive on bananas and coconuts. 😉
So, given that the “necessities” of life are under control, I present to you a list of five items I would consider necessary to my survival were I to find myself alone on a desert island without human contact.
1) My horse, Bear ~ My thoughts drift to a favourite childhood book, The Black Stallion, and the movie by the same name released in 1979. I want to play out that scene on the beach (minus the snake), where Alec and his wild new equine companion, The Black, are frolicking together in the tropical sun, chasing each other across the sand and splashing in the water. The sequence in the movie is 20 minutes long and features absolutely stunning cinematography. I’m sure Bear and I would have fun and spend many happy hours thus engaged.
2) My digital camera ~ I couldn’t possibly be in a foreign land without my digital camera. So much beauty to capture for future enjoyment after Bear and I are rescued. No doubt I would get spectacular shots of my boy running and playing on the beach.
3) A journal and pen (counted as one item) ~ I’m a writer. I need to document things. I suppose that’s where the camera comes in too. I need to write down my thoughts, feelings, observations. Pour my heart onto the page. Finger writing in the wet sand won’t cut it.
4) My ukelele ~ On a desert island I would have time to play my lovely ukelele and sing. I don’t get to do that these days. I might play everything in the key of C, but at least I’d be playing. 😉
5) A book of Shakespeare’s Sonnets ~ I would immerse myself in the beautiful language of this gifted poet and it would, perhaps, inspire me to write sonnets of my own.
Hmmm, this sounds good. I might enjoy some time on a desert island.
Thanks for visiting …
©Dorothy Chiotti, Aimwell CreativeWorks 2013
More Desert Island Day Dreaming